At the Seatrade Cruise Shipping Miami Convention today, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) revealed the full range of innovative and varied accommodations to be offered on its next generation of Freestyle Cruising ship, Norwegian Epic. In another industry first, Norwegian is also opening group block space reservations on Norwegian Epic today exclusively for its travel partners before the ship goes on sale to the general public later this spring.
Norwegian Epic, NCL’s largest Freestyle Cruising ship to date, set for delivery in May 2010, will feature the biggest ship-within-a-ship suite complex at sea, comprising 60 suites and villas on two private decks at the top of the ship. Guests staying in one of these suites will have exclusive access to the Courtyard Villa complex featuring a pool, two whirlpools, gym, saunas, sundeck, indoor/outdoor dining, bar/nightclub and concierge lounge. Always an innovator, Norwegian pioneered the ship-within-a-ship concept on its Jewel class ships and is now taking that vision to epic proportions on the 4,200-passenger Norwegian Epic.
For the budget-conscious traveler, Norwegian also unveiled a new category of inside staterooms – The Studios. A first in design for the cruise industry, these ultra-modern staterooms maximize space and feature a large, round window that looks out into the corridor, along with customizable color changing light effects that mirror different stages of the day or the guest’s mood, including a love setting for those romantic nights at sea. The Studios occupy two decks and have exclusive key-card access to the Living Room, a two-story shared private lounge. The area is a two-floor lounge which features a concierge, bar, room service, two large TV screens, and comfy seating for hanging out, reading a book or just enjoying a cocktail before dinner.
For the first time in its 43-year history, Norwegian is also introducing spa balcony, deluxe balcony staterooms and suites located within the spa with complimentary access to the ship’s ultra-relaxing thermal suite and invigorating and state-of-the-art fitness center. For families traveling on Norwegian Epic, NCL has placed the majority of its family-friendly staterooms, both deluxe balcony and balcony staterooms, many that connect, on two decks within close proximity to an expanded, biggest ever Kids Crew facility for added convenience.
“True to its name, Norwegian Epic takes Freestyle accommodations to the next level, offering a wide range of staterooms, suites and villas to suit every type of guest,” said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s chief executive officer. “Since this ship is our largest and most innovative Freestyle Cruising vessel to date, we’ve taken a fresh approach to our stateroom mix, offering niche accommodations such as our family and spa categories, along with creative, ground-breaking design as evidenced by The Studios with Living Room and largest ever Courtyard Villa complex.”
These specialized accommodations complement the ship’s New Wave Inside, Balcony and Deluxe Balcony staterooms announced last year. These New Wave staterooms feature curved walls and lines creating a modern and chic experience. Norwegian has maximized the living space with a bathroom that is completely unique with a separate shower stall, separate water closet and a modern vanity top sink. Norwegian Epic is also a balcony-rich ship, with all of its outside staterooms featuring private balconies.
More details on Norwegian Epic’s accommodations are as follows:
Villas and Suites:
· A total of 60 Courtyard Villas, Penthouse Suites and Deluxe Owner’s Suites on two private decks high atop the ship on Decks 16 and 17. All have exclusive access to a private pool, two whirlpools, saunas, sun deck, fitness facility, private indoor/outdoor dining, bar and concierge lounge. There are 46 of NCL’s signature Courtyard Villas featuring two bedrooms and two bathrooms of ultimate luxury. Six Courtyard Penthouses include a bedroom with separate living and dining area. Eight Deluxe Owner’s Suites feature all-around floor to ceiling windows, bedroom and separate living and dining area. There are also seven Penthouse Suites located in other areas of the ship.
The Studios and Living Room:
· 128 ultra modern studios located on two decks, 11 and 12. Each sleeps two, has a den-like feel with a large, round window looking onto the corridor with customizable color changing light effects that mirror different stages of the day. Inside the Studios, a control panel allows guests to select their own light effect depending on their mood, including a love setting for romantic nights at sea.
· The Living Room is a shared social space exclusively for the use of Studio guests. The area is a two-floor lounge which features a bar, room service, two large TV screens, and comfy seating for hanging out, reading a book or just enjoying a cocktail before dinner. A concierge is available to book dinner reservations and shore excursions.
Spa Suites and Staterooms:
· Located on Deck 14, a total of 39 spa suites, deluxe balcony and balcony staterooms have private key-card entry to the enclave surrounding Norwegian Epic’s ultra-luxurious thermal suite and fitness center. For an added indulgence, eight spa suites each feature an in-room whirlpool.
· 225 Family Deluxe Balcony and 146 Family Balcony staterooms, with triple and quad occupancies, are located on two decks (13 and 14) within close proximity to the expanded Kids Crew. These staterooms feature Norwegian’s signature New Wave design with contemporary curved architecture and open living space. The curved walls and ceilings maximize the living space with a bathroom that is completely unique with a separate shower stall, separate water closet and a modern vanity top sink.
· Many of the family staterooms can connect, perfect for families and multigenerational groups.
Deluxe Balcony Staterooms:
· 98 Deluxe Balcony staterooms featuring NCL’s signature New Wave design, with contemporary curved architecture and open living space. The curved walls and ceilings maximize the living space with a bathroom that is completely unique with a separate shower stall, separate water closet and a modern vanity top sink.
New Wave Balcony Staterooms:
· 851 Balcony staterooms feature Norwegian’s New Wave design and open living space; located throughout the ship on Decks 8 to 14.
· 560 Inside staterooms, with contemporary décor and open living space, including a bathroom that is completely unique with a separate shower stall, water closet and a modern vanity top sink; located on Decks 8 through 14.
NCL plans to reveal two more chapters about Norwegian Epic. Chapter 4 details will be revealed on April 3, 2009 at the Cruise3Sixty show in Ft. Lauderdale and Chapter 5 details will be revealed in New York City in May 2009. To view renderings and register for news, visit http://epic.ncl.com.