Take off in a high-speed jet boat, see dramatic views of glaciers aboard a floatplane and take in the awe-inspiring Yukon with Norwegian Cruise Line’s new 2008 Alaska shore excursions. Guests also have the opportunity to explore Alaska’s natural beauty in a more personalized setting with NCL’s Freestyle Private Touring via boat, chauffer driven hummer, rugged luxury SUV, classic floatplane or Alaskan skiff – all exclusive to NCL.
The new tour options add to NCL’s extensive shore excursion program which offers guests a total of 160 Alaska excursions in 2008. Guests can depart from Seattle, Washington or Vancouver, British Colombia from April through September 2008 on one of three dazzling Freestyle Cruising ships – Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Star or Norwegian Sun.
“We are always in search of new ways for our guests to experience all Alaska has to offer,” said Colin Veitch, NCL's president and CEO. “In addition to our wide range of shore excursions, we are now offering NCL’s exclusive Freestyle Private Tours that allow guests an up close look at the culture, wildlife and natural beauty of this destination.”
Freestyle Private Touring in Alaska
With NCL exclusive private touring, guests can reserve a tour guide into Alaska’s wilderness and history for an unparalleled, personalized experience:
* NCL’s Freestyle Private Touring: Wild Coast Exploration by Private Boat: (NCL exclusive) A private, expedition-style catamaran is the perfect vehicle for exploring this region’s ice-hewn fjords and rugged coasts. The captain and expedition naturalist will assist in designing a unique cruise adventure.
* NCL’s Freestyle Private Touring: Chauffeur-Driven Hummer: (NCL exclusive) Experience Juneau on your own terms and on your own schedule. A la carte options include private Glacier View Sea Kayaking, a visit to the Shrine of St. Therese, patroness of Alaska, and an exclusive Historic Gold Mining and Panning tour to Last Chance Basin.
* NCL’s Freestyle Private Touring: Alaskan Skiff: (NCL exclusive) Get closer to the beauty of Alaska aboard a private skiff. Fish some of the world’s most abundant waters, scout for wildlife, or hike the ancient rainforest.
* NCL’s Freestyle Private Touring: Rugged Luxury SUV: (NCL exclusive) This completely customizable tour allows guests to see Alaska in the comfort of a luxury SUV with a private tour guide.
* NCL’s Freestyle Private Touring: Classic Floatplane: (NCL exclusive) Breathtaking views of southeast Alaska are seen via this floatplane tour. An expert local pilot takes guests beyond the ordinary to remote areas seldom seen by visitors. During the flight guests enjoy enlightening two-way communication with the pilot while flying over Misty Fjords National Monument, 2.3 million acres of natural, untouched landscape.
* NCL’s Freestyle Private Touring: An Alaskan Chef’s Table: (NCL exclusive) Discover the unique flavors, culture and people of Alaska during this exclusive epicurean experience. A personal chef serves a five-course tasting menu, choreographed to highlight Alaska's sustainable, wild bounty. Sample hot and cold smoked salmon, spot prawns, king and dungeness crab, saffron-infused bouillabaisse, halibut, salmon and a luscious dessert.
Breathtaking Shore Excursions
NCL’s new shore excursions offer perfect options for seasoned sightseers, fun-seeking families, and bold explorers:
* Rainforest Garden & City Attractions: Drive through Juneau’s historic downtown district and past the State Capitol Building. Tour the exquisite atrium at Glacier Gardens. Travel through the rainforest, enjoying views of the Mendenhall wetlands, Gastineau Channel and Admiralty Island.
* City Highlights, Totems & Creek Street: Learn the history and culture of Ketchikan traveling on a festive trolley through its quaint downtown and past boat harbors, City Park and Ketchikan Creek. Then stop to photograph the majestic totem poles and explore Creek Street, the historical “Red Light” district.
* The Bering Sea – Crab Fisherman’s Tour: Once-in-a-lifetime chance to experience commercial fishing firsthand from the deck of a seasoned vessel while skilled fishermen share stories from the treacherous Bering Sea.
* Back Country Jet Boat & Totem Adventure: (NCL exclusive) Cruise through the island-studded waters of Clover Pass and Naha Bay aboard a high-speed, fully enclosed jet boat. Have a glimpse of the homes of rural Alaskans practicing the pioneer lifestyle, and visit Potlach Park to see a recreated native Alaskan village and visit the Alaska Totem Trading museum and store.
Prince Rupert, British Columbia
* Canada’s Wilderness via Floatplane: Fly over lush rainforest, deep valleys,
rugged mountain fjords, cascading waterfalls and spectacular glaciers for dramatic views of Canada’s natural scenery. Spot wildlife such as eagles, mountain goats, seals, porpoises, and whales.
* Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bear Viewing: Enter the pristine wilderness of the Khutzeymateen Valley, home to one of the highest concentrations of grizzly bears in North America. Enjoy a safe, pleasurable and unique wilderness experience without intruding on the bear’s natural habitat.
* Golden Glassblowing Experience: This unique hands-on opportunity includes a private orientation tour of the spectacular Northern Show Garden and a visit to the Hot Shop to learn the ancient art of working with molten glass and create an original keepsake.
* Suspension Bridge, White Pass Railway and Scenic Klondike Highway: From an antique parlor car, gaze in awe at the majestic scenery and hear the stories and history of the Klondike Gold Rush.
* White Pass Railway & Alpine Snow Shoe Hike: This trip combines a ride on the Historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway with a wilderness trek in the stunning alpine zone of the upper reaches of the Tormented Valley.
* Garden Glassworks & White Pass Railway: At the Jewell Gardens, hear the tales of this gold rush town while viewing magnificent delphiniums, nasturtiums and begonias. At Garden City Glassworks Theater, watch as a talented glass artist demonstrates the ancient art form. Experience an unforgettable journey aboard the world-famous narrow-gauge White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad.
* Experience the Yukon & Suspension Bridge: Climb the South Klondike Highway to the top of the White Pass 3,292 feet above sea level, take in the awe-inspiring Yukon Suspension Bridge, explore Caribou Crossing, see Tormented Valley and Pitchfork Falls, and visit the new Skagway Sculpture Park.
* Evening Gold Rush & Salmon Bake: Take a trip to the Liarsville Gold Rush Trail Camp, located on the outskirts of Skagway, where meals are prepared over an open wood fire using recipes handed down by the women who cooked in the camps and goldfields of 1898. Afterwards, gather at the Liarsville Hippodrome for a performance by a cast of sourdoughs and dancehall girls.
Victoria, British Columbia
* Gourmet Picnic & Fireworks at Butchart Gardens: Guests will travel from Odgen Point through the scenic countryside and rolling farmlands en route to Butchart Gardens, a Vancouver Island jewel, where they will feast on a gourmet picnic and explore the gardens with fireworks overhead.
* Butchart Gardens, Wine & Chocolate: Indulge in a romantic evening of wine and chocolate truffles in a truly magical setting at the Church & State Winery.
* Twilight Snorkeling Adventure: The diversity of marine life in Victoria's emerald waters allows for an exhilarating snorkeling experience.
All Alaska shore excursions are currently available for pre-reservation. Guests can reserve their tours by logging on to www.ncl.com. As many tours fill up quickly, guests are encouraged to make selections as early as possible.
NCL Corporation Ltd. is the holding company for various subsidiary companies involved in owning and operating the ships of Norwegian Cruise Line. NCL is building two new Third Generation Freestyle Cruising (“F3”) ships for delivery in 2010.