The Port of Auckland will usher in a record season and seven maiden calls, according to a statement released today.

The port is forecasting a season up some 10,000 passengers from last year, and five three-ship days.

The 2014/2015 summer period will see more cruise passengers to Auckland than ever before with the Voyager of the Seas calling.

The vessel made its first record breaking visit on Dec. 13 2014 and returned to Princes Wharf this past week with the same substantial number of visitors.

“Large passenger discharges such as these present a myriad of potential challenges, particularly in terms of getting passengers off the vessel and through terminal facilities under immense time pressure,” said POAL Manager Marine and Cruise Operations, Leigh Robins.

“Our team creates easily navigated channels, which passengers can flow through and still meet the on-wharf passenger processing requirements. It involves extensive planning, initiative and flexibility to ensure operations run efficiently,” she said.

Unlike many other ports internationally, the vessels dock in the heart of the city’s revitalised waterfront, at Princes and Queens Wharves, facilitating spend on local tourist attractions and in the CBD retail hub.

ATEED Chief Executive Brett O’Riley added Auckland’s non-stop summer has had a good start with 35 cruise ships visiting Auckland in the 2014/2015 cruise season to date.

“Auckland receives significant GDP return from the provisioning and refuelling of cruise ships, and money spent by passengers and crew during exchanges. More than 257,000 passengers and crew are expected to visit this season,” said Mr O’Riley.