Various rumors and odd "news" as heard by the Cruise Industry News editorial team on the first day of the 2013 Cruise Canada New England Symposium in Boston.
• The 2014 Symposium is taking place in… Corner Brook! Corner Brook has some 13 calls in 2013 and is a city located on the west coast of the island of Newfoundland in Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada. Direct airlift is available from Montreal and Halifax.
• Not seen: NYCruise’s Tom Spina, who is said to no longer be with the New York cruise effort.
• Seen: executives from Carnival Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean International, Holland America Line and Norwegian Cruise Line.
• 2014: A banner year for the Canada/New England region with a solid set of calls from major cruise lines.
• 2015: More of a question mark – deployment decisions loom ever closer for cruise lines – as well as the Emissions Control Area which could cause fuel costs in the Canada/New England area to go up to the point where lines may consider their options in terms of deployment.