American Cruise Lines announced the addition of four-night cruises to the Queen of the Mississippi’s 2013 schedule. Three days shorter than the standard itinerary length the line offers on the Mississippi River, the new cruises will focus on the various plantations found along the river.
The roundtrip voyage from New Orleans is perfect for a quick getaway or extended weekend trip, offering a historic exploration of the plantations along the Mississippi River, including Nottoway Plantation, Houmas House, Oak Alley and Laura Plantation. Featured dates include November 30, December 4 and 8, with rates starting at $2,395 per person.
The new shorter plantation cruises will feature a variety of special events and onboard activities:
• Mint juleps served on the Oak Alley lawn
• Performance by Judy Davis, singer, entertainer and storyteller of life on a plantation
• Praline-cooking demonstration by Michael DeVidts
• Performance by the New Orleans Jazz All Stars
• Onboard cooking demonstration by a Louisiana Culinary Institute chef
“With great and rising interest in cruising the Mississippi River with American Cruise Lines, we thought it was important to offer additional options for those interested,” said Timothy Beebe, vice president, American Cruise Lines. "This new offering will appeal to those interested in a shorter cruise or to those looking to complement a land vacation in the American Heartland."