The official launch of Le Havre Cruise Club took place on March 14 in the Town Hall with the founding members: the Greater Le Havre Community, the Port of Le Havre Authority, the City of Le Havre andthe Chamber of Commerce.
With 124 calls and approx. 240,000 passengers expected this year, La Havre said the destination has become a major player in the cruise business, posting a increase in traffic from 2012.
The Le Havre Cruise Club’s purpose is to enhance the welcome facilities and the shore-organization for the cruise passengers and for the crew members as well as to develop the economic area.
The Strategic Board, composed of the founding members, has decided the following action course for 2013:
• Various festivities in the Cruise Terminal will take place on the occasion of about 30 calls (first and last call, maiden calls, turnarounds, triple calls, 100th call, Christmas Calls): music bands, and accordion player, handing out flowers, hot chocolate or spicy wine during Christmas time.
• Shopping Welcome project: approximately 250 shopkeepers agreed in opening their shops during lunch breaks, they will also allow a commercial discount to cruise passengers and crew members.
• Cruise Welcome project : in partnership with a local high school, the Lycée Jeanne d’Arc, 11 students in the tourism program will welcome cruise passengers from end of March to beginning of May (14 dates) in different places of the city, and the project will be continued by three trainees till end of June (20 dates)
• A monthly E-letter will be sent to all partners with calls information, general information regarding Cruise Lines, interactivity between the Cruise Club members.
• A survey will be held on the cruise passengers purchasing behavior, to determine economic impact.