Various rumors and odd "news" as heard by the Cruise industry News editorial team at the 2013 Cruise Shipping Miami conference:
• Ship Order: Has a luxury cruise line finally placed a much rumored ship order?
• Global Perception: For an industry facing perception problems from the mainstream media, it seems strange to ban the media from an upcoming safety exercise.
• 2 Million: The Port of Saint John will welcome its 2,000,000th passenger later this year as traffic to the Canadian port, which features the unique Bay of Fundy, remains strong.
• Free Ports: Some regional and national governments may be waving port fees for cruise ships that call in two ports (in the same region or country) on an itinerary.
• New Pier: The Turkish port of Cesme is extending its pier to 300-meters-plus to handle bigger ships.
• Attendance: Despite claims of the biggest show ever in Miami, that may not be the case, according to multiple ports talking to Cruise Industry News, which said cruise line executives were not on the floor as they had been in the past, and the show seemed quiet on Tuesday and Wednesday.