ESPN International has assembled a team of talented sports commentators and analysts, along with renowned soccer and NFL athletes, for its third annual Super Bowl at Sea. The group sets sail to the Western Caribbean on board Royal Caribbean’s Oasis of the Seas this Saturday, February 4.
Special guests from the ESPN Soccernet Press Pass team include Tommy Smyth, one of the most recognized pundit names in international soccer; Shaka Hislop, former EPL goalkeeper and Trinidad Hall-of-Famer; Robbie Earle, former standout EPL midfielder and Jamaican international; and Dan Thomas, host of PressPass.
National Football League guests include:
• Verron Haynes, free agent and running back with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2002 to 2006
• Gary Jeter, a defensive end who played from 1977 to 1989 for the New York Giants, Los Angeles Rams and New England Patriots
• Mike Logan, a defensive back and Super Bowl XL winner with the Pittsburgh Steelers
• Rod Martin, a linebacker who played for the Los Angeles Rams and Oakland Raiders from 1977 to 1988, and assisted the Raiders to two Super Bowl wins in 1981 and 1987
• Ovie Mughelli, currently an Atlanta Falcons starting fullback, and two time All-Pro selection
• Jermaine Phillips, a safety with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2002 to 2009, and currently with the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the United Football League
• John Taylor, former wide receiver with the San Francisco 49ers and winner with the 49ers teams of Super Bowls XXIII, XXIV and XXIX
• Wendell Tyler, Los Angeles Rams and San Francisco 49ers running back from 1977 to 1986, and winner of Super Bowl XIX with the Rams
“The Super Bowl at Sea cruise is an innovative way for ESPN to bring the excitement of one of the world’s most-watched sporting contests to fans. It’s also a singular opportunity for them to rub shoulders with players and hear first-hand what it’s like to be in the Big Game and in the NFL,” said Bernard Stewart, Vice President, ESPN Caribbean & Maritime Media. “The combination of our guests with the tremendously talented soccer commentators makes for fun-filled and unique content on our international networks.”
The “fútbol vs. football experts,” along with ESPN Caribbean clients, affiliates, cruise guests and media, will watch Super Bowl XLVI live from the Oasis of the Seas’ main theater and its state of the art studio, where guests will enjoy a special interactive halftime show with the players. The ESPN on-air team will also share insights on the game during the breaks.
During Super Bowl at Sea, the ESPN production crew will also film segments for ESPN Soccernet Press Pass, and athletes and passengers will join together in a variety of ESPN and Royal Caribbean hosted events, including scavenger hunts, Press Pass fútbol vs. football discussions, Chalk Talk and pre- and post-game tapings.