Expanding their commitment to the Charleston area community, Carnival‘s partnership with the MUSC Children’s Hospital includes a series of in-kind and monetary donations and fundraisers
(Charleston, SC, December 6, 2010) – Carnival Cruise Lines and the Medical University of South Carolina Children’s Hospital are proud to announce a partnership for 2011.
The year-long partnership will include several in-kind and monetary donations and fundraisers, as well as bringing smiles and fun to the patients of the MUSC Children’s Hospital. Under the partnership, Carnival’s involvement includes:
• Four Fun Centers, mobile entertainment units that include a Nintendo Wii console, flat panel television and DVD player. Each Fun Center can be rolled up to the side of patients’ beds or throughout the hospital. Two laptops will also be donated, both items helping to improve the quality of the child’s life in the hospital setting.
• Quarterly shows for the children in the MUSC Children’s Hospital Atrium, by a Carnival cruise director, Fun Ship Freddy and other talent.
• A total of 1,000 Towel Pals delivered throughout the year to provide companionship and comfort to the children.
• A donation to the Children’s Hospital through fundraising efforts at the Cooper River Bridge Run.
• A spring fund-raising effort, currently in the planning stages.
“We are excited to expand our partnership with MUSC Children’s Hospital after a fun tie-in at last year’s Cooper River Bridge Run,” said Mike Julius, managing director U.S. sales for Carnival. “This hospital makes a positive impact on these children’s lives. It is extremely important to Carnival Cruise Lines, and part of our ongoing corporate philosophy, to give back to the Charleston area community in a meaningful way while bringing smiles to children’s faces.”
“We are looking forward to the positive impact of this partnership,” said Dr. Ray Greenberg, MUSC president. “Since becoming a greater part of our business and tourism community this year, Carnival Cruise Lines is continuing to demonstrate its commitment to the Charleston area.”
In May 2010, Carnival Cruise Lines officially launched the first, year-round cruise service from Charleston on the Carnival Fantasy, with destinations to The Bahamas and Key West, Fla. In 2011, Carnival will also offer a series of Bermuda cruises for the first time from Charleston.
“We are thankful for the positive reception Carnival has received since the launch of our year-round cruise service,” added Mike Julius. “The Port, the Charleston Area Convention and Visitors Bureau, area travel agents and many other business and community leaders and residents have provided support and partnership, enabling Carnival to truly feel a part of this great community.”
The partnership will begin December 2010 with the first of the quarterly entertainment shows occurring on December 17. The goal for the partnership is to provide $50,000 through a combination of monetary and in-kind donations and fundraising efforts. The Fun Centers are expected in the first quarter of 2011. Information for the upcoming entertainment events, fundraisers and Cooper River Bridge Run involvement will be announced at a later date.