The new berth 8 in the Warnemünde shipyard basin has been completed on schedule for the 2009 cruise season beginning 01 May. The third and last phase of construction, commissioned by Hafen-Entwicklungsgesellschaft Rostock, was carried out by regional construction companies. Hafen-Entwicklungsgesellschaft Rostock, the operator of the cruise port in Warnemünde, is owned by the Hanseatic City of Rostock and the federal state of Mecklenburg Vorpommern.
“Around two million Euro was invested in the third phase of construction between September 2008 and April 2009. The project included equipping the berth with media and utility lines for electricity, lighting, telephone, video, sound, fresh water, waste water, as well as paving of the surfaces”, explains Ulrich Bauermeister, Managing Director of Hafen-Entwicklungsgesellschaft Rostock. “We now have two berths that are able to accommodate all sizes of cruise ships, and are well-equipped for future growth in the cruise shipping segment.”
The two regional construction companies – Tias Tiesler and ASA Bau - executing the project jointly laid around 16 km of cable and nearly 1000 m of piping; an area of 6500 square meters was newly surfaced, 1000 square meters paved with asphalt; a fence was rebuilt along a length of 525 meters. In addition, the channel between the Alter Strom and the shipyard basin was newly constructed along a length of 40 meters. Stadtwerke Rostock installed a new transformer station to supply the entire cruise terminal with electricity.
Berth P8 in Warnemünde was newly constructed at a total length of 465 meters in three phases beginning in September 2007. The state of Mecklenburg Vorpommern and Hafen-Entwicklungsgesellschaft invested around 11 million Euro in the project.