Luxury and adventure specialist Crystal Cruises is introducing 100 new Crystal Adventures in the Mediterranean for 2009. Besides hundreds of carefully crafted cultural and historic excursions, the line is offering its largest selection ever of active outdoor pursuits. Thrilling options such as paragliding, rock-climbing, windsurfing and hiking allow guests to explore daring new territory. All told, Crystal will offer more than 500 Mediterranean Crystal Adventures - 25 percent more than last year - in ports in Italy, Croatia, Greece, Spain, Turkey and Portugal from June through October on seven- and 12-day voyages.
"Many Crystal guests seek physically-challenging shoreside experiences that allow them to actively immerse themselves in a destination," says John Stoll, director, land programs. "For those wishing to be perpetually energized, we continue to feature options that will pique travelers' curiosity mentally and physically.
NEW Mediterranean Crystal Adventures include:
* Paragliding over Spain's Lleida countryside (Barcelona);
* Windsurfing along one of the world's most stunning peninsulas in Turkey (Bodrum);
* Free Climbing at Malacka, one of Croatia's most exciting free-climbing courses (Trogir);
* Trekking across Italy's Palmeria Island, a UNESCO World Heritage Site (Portovenere);
* Horseback Riding through Spain's Montseny National Park, and exploring the rugged countryside terrain by ATV (Barcelona);
* Rafting on the Cetina River, renowned for prehistoric artifacts on its banks (Trogir); and
* Hiking along the breathtaking Amalfi Coast in Italy, 1,500 above sea level (Sorrento)
The new tours join dozens of adventurous favorites including hiking a still-active volcano in Italy, and mountain biking and exploring caves in Greece.
Cruise fares for Mediterranean itineraries start at $3,545 per person, double occupancy. All 2009 Mediterranean cruises qualify for Crystal's Save Now, Save Later program, allowing guests who book their 2009 vacation by March 31 to save 20 percent on most 2010 cruises. Travelers can also save up to $1,500 per person on most Mediterranean voyages with the line's European Celebration Savings program.