The Port of New Orleans resumed normal operations today, just three days after bidding farewell to Hurricane Gustav.

“Anytime a Port is receiving vessels and working cargo just a few days after a major storm is a great accomplishment,” said Gary LaGrange, President and CEO of the Port of New Orleans. “The entire Port community is to be commended and we appreciate the support and patience of our customers.”

Terminal operations actually restarted on a limited basis Wednesday, Sept. 3, as Coastal Cargo Co. began offloading cargo from the Federal Patroller, one of 11 vessels that remained in Port during the storm. By Saturday, 13 vessels are scheduled to arrive at the Port of New Orleans.

Three gantry cranes are working the MSC China container vessel today at the Napoleon Avenue Container Terminal, with Seaboard Marine’s Seaboard Pride, Hapag Lloyd’s Bonn Express and Mediterranean Shipping Company’s MSC Turchia and MSC Chile soon to be worked tonight and through the weekend at Napoleon.

“We received very minor wind damage at the Napoleon Container Terminal and our crane team did an excellent job of getting all four of our gantry cranes back online by Wednesday,” LaGrange said. “Ports America and New Orleans Terminals (the two stevedores at Napoleon Ave.) worked tirelessly to expedite the reopening of the terminal and we certainly appreciate their efforts.”

All Port terminals will be busy through the weekend, as Coastal Cargo works two ships today at the Louisiana Avenue Wharf, two ships will be worked by Pacorini Global at the Alabo Street Terminal, two steel ships will offload at Nashville Avenue and Empire Stevedoring is working a breakbulk ship at the First Street Wharf.

The Port’s Harbor Police Department resumed normal operating hours at 6 a.m. today and the International Longshoreman’s Association reports fully staffed gangs at Port docks.

Gate operations at Felicity Street and Napoleon Avenue resumed normal hours this morning at 7 a.m. Trucks can access the Clarence Henry Truckway to drop off or pick up loads from the Felicity Street Gate or the Napoleon Avenue Gate.

The Port Administration building remained open throughout the storm with essential personnel on duty and officially reopened for normal business operations today for all employees.