PTC (Nasdaq: PMTC), The Product Development Company®, today announced the availability of CADDS 5 15.0, the newest release of its specialized CAD/CAM solution for shipbuilding. CADDS 5 and Optegra provide the power and performance needed to help large, dispersed teams create massive, highly complex assemblies within stringent schedules. The latest release delivers new features and key enhancements to increase productivity, improve ease of use, and enhance collaboration.
The shipbuilding industry has traditionally been challenged to meet demands for innovation while struggling with manual processes that contribute to lengthy product development cycles. CADDS 5 offers adaptable, hybrid modeling capabilities that enable users to optimize their design approach to meet specific product development needs. By enabling users to reference each other’s evolving designs, the CADDS 5 solution facilitates concurrent engineering in a fully digitized ship design and 3D modeling environment. Ultimately this helps to shorten product design lead-time and accelerate time-to-market.
Key enhancements that are beneficial to all CADDS 5 users include the following:
· Single graphics environment – Increases productivity by enabling users to manipulate the rendering state of individual views between wire frame, hidden line and shaded to accommodate specific tasks.
· Revamped dynamics capabilities – Dynamics is now always active within a CADDS 5 session and the new Middle Mouse button and keyboard combinations improves ease of use of CADDS 5 powerful dynamics capabilities.
· View clipping and View states – Enhances communication by allowing viewing and manipulation of reduced datasets and improves visibility of complex graphics scenarios and speed interaction.
· Semi-automatic annotation from templates – Increases efficiency by enabling users to quickly annotate a drawing from a user defined template controlling what objects to label and the label content. Annotations can be automatically updated if the object's attributes or template format changes.
CADDS 5 additionally includes shipbuilding specific enhanced capabilities:
· Ship reference system – the ability to display an interactive tree of the ship reference system and graphically display references provides a better, ship-oriented view of the design.
· Clash Detection and Management – New module saves time and helps decrease down stream errors by detecting clashes early and enables designers to uniquely manage and resolve each clash (available in May 2008*).
· Routed Systems Design – Provides new and advanced cableway and HVAC sections, multiple cableway branching with network continuity, and equipment modeling improvements.
· Automated Definition of Deck and Hull joints and Flexible Manufacturing Output Control – Facilitates the manufacturing process and increases productivity and efficiency.
“CADDS 5 has become a preferred solution in the shipbuilding industry because it supports the unique requirements driven by the size and complexity of assembly structures and the need to conform to industry standards and criteria for product development,” said Michael Campbell, senior vice president, product management, PTC. “PTC is committed to providing shipbuilding customers with the capabilities needed to optimize their product development processes and accelerate time-to-market.”
CADDS 5 15.0 Upgrades and Product Availability
CADDS 5 15.0 is available now in English. French, Japanese, and simplified Chinese versions are expected to be available in CYQ2 2008.* CADDS 5 active maintenance customers can conveniently download CADDS 5 15.0 or order a CD from the PTC support site. For additional information, please visit the CADDS 5 product pages at www.ptc.com/products/cadds.
*The timing of any product release, including any features or functionality, is subject to change at PTC’s discretion.