With the christening of the Norwegian Escape, the Norwegian Cruise Line brand will complete 2015 with three year-round ships sailing from PortMiami. The Escape joins the Getaway, which are the line’s two newest ships, alongside the 1999-built Sky, which sails a three- and four-day program.
“They have their two newest ships here, and NCL has been here for over 45 years,” said Juan Kuryla, director of PortMiami. “It wasn’t until 2008 that we were able to enter into a long-term agreement.”
Since then, that agreement has been amended a few times, Kuryla told Cruise Industry News.
“Every time we increase the passenger guarantees,” he added.
The port director said it is all about customer service, and he was on site on Sunday afternoon, working closely alongside Norwegian ahead of Norwegian Escape’s launch festivities.
“Cruise lines should associate Miami with excellent service, an appreciative team and phenomenal infrastructure,” Kuryla said.
Among the other highlights for the port is the recently opened tunnel, significantly reducing transit time and easing congestion on Biscayne Blvd.
Read more about PortMiami’s cruise strategy and bold five-year plan in the Winter edition of Cruise Industry News Quarterly Magazine.